Your immigration status and Childcare

To be eligible for 30 hours free childcare and/or Tax-Free Childcare, you (or your partner if you have one) must have a National Insurance number and at least one of the following:

  • British or Irish citizenship
  •  settled or pre-settled status, or been living in the UK before 1 January 2021 with the right to reside
  •  permission to access public funds - your UK residence card will tell you if you cannot do this

If you are living in an EU country, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, you (or your partner if you have one) might still be eligible for Tax-Free Childcare if:

  •  your work is in the UK
  •  the work started before 1 January 2021
  •  you have worked in the UK at least once every 12 months since you started working here

This is known as being a 'frontier worker'.